Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Books to read this year



I have a real knack to start a book and never finish it. I need to finish "Emma" by Jane Austen. I did finish "Blood Red Snow White" by Marcus Sedgwick. It was a little juvenille in the writing, more for a teen, but the spy aspect and the history that is involved is very intriguing. It is a spy book. Another book I have finished is "White Noise" by Don Delillo. This is an amazing piece of fiction that really brings up questions as to how you would be prepared for major disaster, very chilling. I have read through the Bible in the past. It really makes things seem very uniform as you watch the life of Christ and before Christ come together. I really do want to do this again to strengthen my faith and make it come alive. A truly amazing women in history was Elizabeth Prentiss. She lived in the 1800's and her life is kept alive by letters that she regularyly wrote and her diary entries. She lived through alot of dark times in her life, loosing children and sickness were chief amongst her challenges. "More Love To Thee" is a hefty 529 pages but amazing none the less. I am still quite shocked I read through it. It really challenges us to keep strong even when hard times arise. She encouraged me in that she wasn't always peppy during the hard times, she was brutally honest, yet kept her faith. This is an amazing piece of biographical history. I do love the writings of Wendell Berry, a native of Kentucky. He challenges the corporate world how they have stolen small towns. Our family and friends are so spread out, and we have no sense of community. George Orwell's "Animal Farm" I need to finish. I have wanting to read the original "Alice in Wonderland & Through The Looking Glass," by Lewis Carroll. I have heard the the actual book is crazy creepy and more intense then say the cartoon (lol). Oh yes and I will end with, a must read for this year is "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. My husband read this last year I believe. He said he wanted to cry through most of it, but a great book. I didn't know that the movie was coming out until recently, but now I want to read it even more. I do like fiction alot, but in the past I have always enjoyed biographies. What books do you have on your list this year, and what recommendations do you have for me to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment