Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Some more baking.... Soft Pretzels this time



We had a great Halloween weekend. I think I'm still recovering from not getting much sleep the other week with my son being up at night not feeling well, so things have been moving at a snails pace. I am slowly getting some stockings done . It seems that Christmas is right around the corner. I feel like I'm being pressured a little too early to get Christmas going when I visit the stores. I mean we haven't even at Thanksgiving people, lets slow this down. I can't hardly believe that this year is coming to a close so quickly. I really enjoy the holidays though. I love buying gifts, and most of all decorating. I get a little over the top with the decor sometimes, but the kids love it. I have little Christmas trees that sit everywhere, snowmen, stockings, well you get the idea. One thing that I would love to get a collection going of is snowglobes. As a kid I would stare at those forever at Christmastime. My mom had a couple that she would sit out during the holidays. I remember shaking them to watch all the snow fall so gently to the bottom. My mom loved to decorate as well for the holidays.

Over the weekend we really got the hankering for some soft pretzels. My brother and sister-in law had brought us some delicious ones from Indy the week before, so we were wanting more. I decided I would try my hand at making them myself. To my suprise they were quite easy to make. The best part is , is that the recipe is vegan. I found this one over at VegWeb

Soft Pretzels

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 1/3 cups warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups flour (half and half white/whole wheat)
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Combine water, sugar, and yeast. Let rest ten minutes. Add oil, flour, salt, and knead for 10 minutes (or put in a bread machine).

Divide and roll into long ropes; shape into a pretzels. Place on a baking sheet (preferably covered in parchment paper) until doubled in size. The recipe says 45 minutes, but it only took about 20 today in 80ºF weather.

Preheat oven to 450ºF. Bring water and baking soda to a boil.(2 cups of water, 2tbsp of baking soda). Liberally brush hot water/soda onto each pretzel and sprinkle with kosher salt (or poppy seeds, sesame seeds, etc). Bake at 450ºF for 12-15 minutes, flipping baking racks half way through if you have two sheets.

Yield: 6-8 giant pretzels. Or 12 smaller pretzels for pot lucks and house guests.

They were super tastey. I plan on making more this week. Veg Web has so many amazing recipes.
Okay I'm off to teach some multiplication! Have a great Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment