Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pumpkin Carving...Roasted Pumpkin Seeds..and Vegan Happy Cornbread

My husband and son decided on doing "Arthur" this year. He free handed it, and I think it turned out really good. We are Arthur fans around here.
My youngest wanted a cute kitty, so this one was cute and simple enough.
I had such a hard time getting the best shot of "Snow White.' My daughter is going to be Snow White for halloween, so she was certain she would need a matching pumpkin.




I roasted the pumpkin seeds this morning. I found a really tastey way to make them. I have made them before and didn't know what I was doing.
I boiled them in water with a few tablespoons of salt for 10 minutes, drained them, then I put them in the oven on a cookie sheet with olive oil and salt for about 20 minutes or until they are brown enough for you. Let them cool a couple of minutes, and you have roasted pumpkin seeds.

A couple of weeks ago I made some Egg free/Vegan corn bread to have with soup. I have been using this vegan recipe for several years. It is delicious! And notice he came out with a big smile!

Here's the recipe which I found on Recipezarr from Chef Eggless.
1 cup of cornmeal
1 1/4 cups of flour
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 1/4 cups of rice or soymilk
1/2 cup of olive or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease on 8 by 9 square pan
Combine the dry ingrediants, cornmeal flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
Stir in the wet ingrediants, milk, oil, vinegar
Pour the batter into the pan
Bake for about 20 minutes or until the sides pull away from the pan, and you can put a toothpick in to check as well.
Seriously some delicious cornbread, I eat it for days.

1 comment: